The Story Behind The Cosmo-naut
To make this tall spin on a Cosmopolitan, I created a spiced orange syrup in lieu of triple sec. It gives the drink a seasonal quality and a bit more depth, and balances the cranberry juice beautifully.
I lengthened this cocktail with soda to keep the flavors from getting too overpowering, and added fresh mint. Its crisp scent hits you with every sip.
- 1 ½ ounces vodka
- ½ ounce spiced orange simple syrup
- 2 ounces cranberry juice
- 2 ounces soda water
- 2 sprigs mint, separated
- Combine vodka, syrup, cranberry juice, and one of the mint sprigs in a cocktail shaker with ice.
- Shake to chill and combine.
- Fine strain into a Collins glass over fresh ice, discarding the used mint sprig.
- Top with soda water.
- Garnish with fresh mint sprig and enjoy!
Rate This Recipe:
Spiced Orange Simple Syrup Ingredients
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- ½ orange, sliced
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 teaspoon whole cloves
Spiced Orange Simple Syrup Directions
- Combine all ingredients in a small saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Remove from heat and stir until sugar is dissolved.
- Strain into a separate container.
- Store, chilled, in refrigerator.