The Story Behind The Bitter Strawberry Spritz
My local farmers market is fully stocked with fresh-picked strawberries, so I’ve been experimenting with all sorts of berry cocktails. This riff on a spritz features fresh strawberry simple syrup, gin, and bubbly soda water, plus a dash of Peychaud’s bitters for balance. It’s a tasty, low-proof summer drink.
- 1 ounce of gin
- ¾ ounce of strawberry simple syrup (recipe follows)
- ½ ounce of lemon juice
- 2 to 3 ounces of soda water
- 5 dashes of Peychaud’s bitters
- Strawberry and lemon peel for garnish (optional)
- Combine gin, strawberry simple syrup, and lemon juice in a cocktail shaker.
- Shake to combine, and strain into a cocktail glass or Champagne flute.
- Top with soda water, and then layer bitters on top.
- Garnish with lemon peel and strawberry.
Strawberry Simple Syrup Ingredients
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup sliced strawberries
- 1 cup sugar
Strawberry Simple Syrup Directions
- Combine ingredients in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Simmer until the sugar is dissolved, stirring occasionally.
- Cool and then strain out solids.
- Store syrup, covered, in your refrigerator for up to one week.