The Story Behind The Loft
In "Disco Cube Cocktails," author Leslie Kirchhoff is on a mission to make a cocktail’s ice cubes just as enjoyable as its main ingredients.
The Loft, a frozen elixir infused with ginger and lemongrass, takes the cocktail’s combination of vodka, ginger liqueur, pear purée, lemon juice, and egg white to a new level, creating an additional layer of flavor as the ice melts.
Named in honor of DJ David Mancuso’s New York City loft apartment, where legendary dance parties were held in the 1970s, Kirchhoff was also inspired by a visit to the Tokyo-based cocktail bar THESE, where guests choose seasonal fruits to be incorporated into their drinks.
“I popped by [THESE] on a rainy night to retrieve my scarf that I had forgotten the night before, and ended up being persuaded by a duo of knife salesmen to try ‘the best cocktail ever,’” Kirchhoff tells VinePair. The drink, a combination of Asian pear, ginger, and lemongrass, was so enticing that Kirchhoff and her new friends would go on to enjoy three rounds.
- 1 ½ ounces vodka
- 1 ounce Domaine de Canton ginger liqueur
- 1 ounce pear purée*
- ½ ounce lemon juice
- 1 egg white
- 1 Ginger Lemongrass Cube (recipe follows)
- 2 dashes Angostura bitters
- *Pear purée: 1 ripe Asian pear, cored and sliced; ½ ounce lemon juice, strained
- Pear purée instructions: In a blender, combine the pear, lemon juice, and 1 ounce of water. Purée until smooth and transfer to a container. Use immediately.
- In a cocktail shaker, combine the vodka, ginger liqueur, pear purée, lemon juice, and half of the egg white.
- Cover and dry shake for 15 seconds.
- Add plain ice, re-cover, and shake for 10 seconds more.
- Double strain the drink into a coupe glass and gently place the ginger lemongrass cube on top.
- Using a pipette, add the bitters inside the pattern created by the cube.
Rate This Recipe:
Ginger Lemongrass Cubes Ingredients
- 1 mini round waffle silicone mold
- 2 stalks lemongrass, outer layer removed, halved lengthwise, and chopped into 1-inch segments
- 2 ounces ginger juice**
- **Ginger juice ingredients: two 4-inch pieces of ginger root.
- Ginger juice instructions: In a juicer, juice the ginger. Let sit for at least 30 minutes to allow the starch to settle. Pour the ginger juice into a small container, discarding the starch. Cover and keep refrigerated for 1 to 2 days.
Ginger Lemongrass Cubes Directions
- Place the mold on a quarter sheet pan.
- In a saucepan over medium-high heat, combine the lemongrass and 6 ounces of water.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for 10 minutes, reducing the liquid to about 4 ounces.
- Strain through a fine-mesh sieve into a large glass heatproof measuring cup and stir in the ginger juice.
- Pour 1 ounce of the mixture into each mold compartment.
- Use the sheet pan to transfer the mold to the freezer and freeze until solid, about 3 hours.